Saturday, December 22, 2007

Program in Windows Environment

Mid 1997, I wrote my first windows program in Visual Basic 5.0 because of my school project. Bought a "Learn Visual Basic 5.0 in 21 days" book, I started to get myself use to the WYSIWYG way of UI design as well as event driven way of function trigger. If I can still remember correctly it's a time attendance system that captured clock-in and clock-out time when you enter your employee card number. The complexity of this application is at the data capturing business logic, we need to try our best to handle all the exceptional cases scenario, example one of the staff might forgot to clock-in when he report to work but he did clock-out when off duty. Things got more complex when the system tries to cater multiple shift, lunch time as well as tea break for factory that work 24x7. I've forgotten how I've managed to complete it within 3 months for someone that use Visual Basic, Crystal Report and Ms Access database for the first time. By looking back now, I would have to say it's the credit of Microsoft development IDE that allow someone to pick up the windows development concept in such a short time.

No comments: