Sunday, December 23, 2007

A Lower CASE Tool for Pascal - PasCase

Apr 1999, I've decided to develop a lower CASE tool development as my final year thesis. There are two main category of CASE tool, higher and lower CASE tool. Higher CASE tool focus on high level design phase, whereas lower CASE tool will helps on the actual development.

The design philosophic of "PasCase" are it should be end-user friendly and able to generate other programming language source code beside Pascal. So I started to prototype "PasCase" in Turbo C++ 3.0 by developing the screen design and screen flow in actual coding. I've manage to make "PasCase" more user friendly and lively by presenting graphical icons together with the text labels by using Icon Maker.

I've separated the code snippets from main program by designing a simple scripting engine and script that able to express the syntax of different programming languages without having Pascal programming syntax hard coded in "PasCase" program.

Pascal - var i : integer; ("i" is variable and "integer" is data type)
C - int i; ("int" is data type and "i" is variable)

The scripting engine will interpret the script line by line and parse it before produce the actual codes . As for reserved words, they will be kept in an external dictionary files.

I've spent nearly 4 months of sleepless nights to complete it. I've really learned a lots in this project beside earning myself an "A" in my study. If you are interested to take a look, you can download "PasCase" from here.

No comments: